What is HPE’s Strategy?
Our strategy can be distilled into three core areas of focus:
1. MAKE HYBRID IT SIMPLE
We help customers transition to a next-generation software-defined infrastructure and by delivering an open, workload-optimised software stack.
- Market leader across our entire data centre infrastructure portfolio.
- Strong innovation DNA and a best-in-class product roadmap.
- World-class sales and marketing engine with industry-leading channel & ISV ecosystem.
- Competitive cost structure to help ease the transition to Hybrid IT.
2. POWER THE INTELLIGENT EDGE
Our goal is to be the category creator for converged systems at the edge of the network. We leverage mobile-first disruption to grow in campus segment and capture opportunities from wired/wireless convergence in campus and branch. We see massive opportunity for our expansion to high-growth adjacencies.
- Aruba, an HPE company, is industry’s fastest-growing wireless platform at high gross margins.
- We have a differentiated software-defined WLAN offering that positions us well against our chief competitors.
- We deliver leading mobility security solutions.
- No one has accelerated growth at the edge like HPE: we have a distinct first-mover advantage in industrial IoT with our Edgeline solutions.
3. DELIVER EXPERTISE THAT CUSTOMERS CAN BELIEVE IN
We execute mission-critical projects to help transform our customers’ business and IT functions and doing so demands a high degree of trust in our people and solutions. Our customers rely on our expertise to accelerate their mix toward Hybrid IT and provide the flexibility for customers to consume IT the way they want it. As we head into a new year, we will continue to expand attach and penetration rates across the portfolio
- Our customers are satisfied: We have industry-leading customer satisfaction ratings.
- We continue to innovate and deliver advanced portfolio services.
- Our fit-for-purpose operating model and cost structure provides heightened flexibility to help our customers scale.
- In terms of scale, we possess best-in-class operations and can move at the speed of business.
How can HPE help businesses thrive in Indonesia?
In the era of digital disruption, HPE sees technology today delivering business outcomes for companies of all sizes. In Indonesia, our customers are embracing this trend, and applying digital technologies to their business to:
- Enhance and streamline customer experiences
- Create and deliver products and services in new ways
- Improve core operations by driving efficiencies, lowering risk and accelerating the speed of their business.
This continuous enterprise-wide transformation is taking place today across every facet of business, and its success depends on making hybrid IT simple by defining their right mix of dedicated cloud computing resources that can deliver on agility required for the digital transformation journey.
In line with the need to simplify hybrid IT to accelerate business outcomes, the new style of business demands an IT experience that is centered on business outcomes and provides consistent and predictable agility, security and control across the complete IT landscape.
Only HPE is uniquely able to deliver on this enhanced experience with a new generation of capabilities powered by Gen10 that offer customers the ability to accelerate applications and business insights.
In addition to providing customers with the agility on-premises that they have been accustomed to experiencing in the public cloud, HPE is also delivering on the capability to protect the business and data to a level that has not been attainable until now.
This new IT experience is protected by the world’s most secure industry-standard server in combination with storage and network security capabilities that truly deliver the HPE secure compute – the most secure infrastructure that customers require to protect against evolving threats across their hybrid environment.
What new products or service offerings are HPE currently looking to promote throughout Indonesia?
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) has revealed the world’s most secure industry standard servers[i] with the introduction of its next-generation ProLiant portfolio. HPE is the first vendor to put silicon-based security into its industry standard servers, addressing firmware attacks, which are one of the biggest threats facing enterprises and governments today. Building on this new secure foundation, HPE also announced advancements in software- defined infrastructure that deliver new levels of agility and economic flexibility.
Cyber-attacks have increased significantly as hackers become more sophisticated. Security breaches and vulnerability discoveries have been repeatedly attributed to firmware attacks. Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) research reveals[ii] more than 50 percent of cyber security professionals reported at least one incident of malware-infected firmware in 2016. HPE is the first company to respond by developing the “silicon root of trust” – a unique link between the custom HPE silicon and the HPE Integrated Lights Out (iLO) firmware to ensure servers do not execute compromised firmware code. Building this firmware security directly into the HPE silicon provides the ultimate protection against firmware attacks, as well as the ability to recover the essential server firmware automatically.
HPE’s silicon root of trust designs security directly into the iLO chip, creating an immutable fingerprint in the silicon, preventing servers from booting up unless the firmware matches the fingerprint. Because HPE has total control of its own custom-made silicon chip and the server-essential firmware, it is the only vendor in the industry that can offer this advantage. The new silicon root of trust protection includes state-of-the-art encryption and breach detection technologies and is complemented by HPE supply chain security and HPE Pointnext security assessment and protection services.
“A security breach in firmware is one of the most difficult to detect but can be one of the most damaging. Unfortunately, firmware is often overlooked in c-suite conversations about data center security, and cyber criminals are targeting this as a new attack surface,” said Patrick Moorhead, president and principal analyst of technology analyst and advisory firm Moor Insights & Strategy. “While many servers have some level of hardware security already built-in, HPE is creating firmware security inextricably tied with its custom made silicon, to help customers protect against these malicious attacks.”
Creating a New Compute Experience
The world’s most secure industry standard servers is just one part of HPE’s new compute experience, which also includes enhancements to its software-defined infrastructure and flexible payment models. Through this new generation of capabilities powered by HPE ProLiant Gen10, customers can accelerate business insights across a hybrid world of traditional IT, public and private cloud. With HPE’s pay-as-you-go options, customers can scale up or down based on their businesses’ need and only pay for what they actually use.
“Customers shouldn’t have to compromise when it comes to security, the agility of software-defined infrastructure and the flexibility of cloud economics,” said Alain Andreoli, senior vice president and general manager, Data Center Infrastructure Group, Hewlett Packard Enterprise. “With our ProLiant Gen10 portfolio, HPE is offering customers the best compute experience in the industry with unmatched security, new ways to accelerate insights and payment models that allow customers to choose options that work best for them”.
Agility: Software-Defined Infrastructure
The new compute experience offers customers the ability to accelerate applications and business insights through software-defined infrastructure. Today, HPE announced the following new updates, including:
A new experience in software-defined infrastructure advancements:
- HPE OneView 3.1 supports the end-to-end Gen10 server platform and will transform compute, storage and network into software-defined infrastructure. The next generation, version 3.1, delivers composable storage capabilities, improved firmware management, extended support for a broad range of HPE compute platforms and support for new composable ecosystem partners including Mesosphere DC/OS. HPE and Mesosphere are announcing a strategic alliance that will help customers benefit from joint engineering, reference architecture and improved time to value.
- HPE Intelligent System Tuning offers a dynamic experience around applications in partnership with Intel on the Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable family. These unique functions include modulate frequency (jitter smoothing), increased performance (core boosting), and tuning of the server to match workload profiles.
A new experience in “time to insight” to enhance development and productivity:
- HPE Synergy for Gen10 including HPE Synergy 480 and HPE Synergy 660. These compute modules deliver increased performance across compute-and data-intensive workloads, such as financial modeling. In addition, they deliver breakthrough Ethernet 25/50 GB connectivity and a 2.8x increase in direct-attached storage (DAS) capacity.
A new experience in workload optimization accelerating data-driven applications.
- HPE Scalable Persistent Memory, an integrated storage solution that runs at memory speeds with terabyte-scale capacity, unlocking new levels of compute performance with built-in persistence. With up to 27 times faster[iii] application checkpoint operations and 20 times faster[iv] database restores, HPE Scalable Persistent Memory delivers the fastest persistent memory in the market at scale[v].
Economic Control: Pay-as-you-go Options Come to the Data Center
Customers want the flexibility to choose whether they pay for their IT solution as a monthly operating expense or a capital expense. HPE offers consumption-based IT payment models that deliver the tangible business outcomes customers need – whether it’s cash flow improvement, accelerated deployment or cost effective capacity management. HPE Flexible Capacity changes the way customers consume IT to align with actual business needs. By paying only for what they use and leveraging an on-site buffer to scale up or down on demand, customers can save money by eliminating overprovisioning.
To help customers align IT to business needs, HPE is introducing two new offerings:
- HPE Capacity Care Service that enables mid-sized companies to control utilization and capacity management in order to reduce overprovisioning and raise utilization levels.
- IT Investment Strategy Workshops which are designed to help companies develop an IT investment strategy with funding models aligned to an IT investment roadmap.
Tell me more about what Economic Control means to businesses in Indonesia?
Today’s new style of business demands greater flexibility in economic control. In a recent study, it was found that enterprises overprovision on average by 59% for compute and 48% for storage.
We are leading the industry toward a new IT consumption model offering simple control through flexible payment models that are not only aligned with business outcomes but can change based on increases or decreases in IT usage.
HPE Flexible Capacity
HPE Flexible Capacity is a consumption based service that allows customers to take advantage of the economics and agility of a cloud solution with the security and control associated with an on premises solution. HPE Flexible Capacity customers pay only for what they actually use above a minimum commitment, aligning cost to business demands and cutting the cost of overprovisioning. Customers can speed time to market by leveraging an onsite buffer of HPE hardware to rapidly scale up and down based on real time business needs.
HPE Capacity Care Service
HPE Capacity Care is a packaged service that provides active capacity management, usage tracking and planning designed to help customers get the capacity that they need, improve utilization levels and avoid overprovisioning, based on their actual usage and business needs. HPE Capacity Care is best positioned to small and medium business customers.
One of the featured solutions we’re created for the Gen10 launch is our Transition Program. Customers can modernize their datacenter now with Gen9 servers and be sure of a smooth transition to Gen10 when they are ready. Customers will have quick access to technology today and an easy pathway forward with predictable, affordable monthly payments, that won’t rise when they migrate to Gen10. We can also monetize owned IT assets, allowing our customers to shift to a flexible usage model, like Flexible Capacity or another investment model. This also helps add cash to their innovation budget.
How are recent acquisitions playing a role in the development of this new Compute Experience?
HPE has made several strategic acquisitions, which enhance the new compute experience:
- SGI brings new solutions that can manage the big data workloads and mission critical applications that traditional infrastructure solutions cannot handle.
- HPE-SimpliVity is the powerhouse in hyperconvergence, combining HPE’s best-in-class infrastructure, automation and cloud management software with SimpliVity’s industry-leading software-defined data management platform.
- The combination of Nimble’s predictive flash offerings for the entry to midrange segments with midrange to high-end 3PAR solutions and affordable MSA products creates the most comprehensive, best-in-class portfolio across the full range of the market.
- HPE has long been working with Cloud Cruiser to offer customers consumption-based IT options for the data center. With this acquisition, there are a number of new advanced metering and analytical opportunity that HPE is able to deliver including HPE Capacity Care and Investment Workshops.
[ii] ISACA Study on Firmware Security Risks and Mitigation: Enterprise Practices and Challenges, 2016.
[iii] 27 times faster checkpoint operations comparing doing application checkpoint with MySQL on HDDs compared to HPE Scalable Persistent Memory.
[iv] 20 times faster restores comparing restoring a Microsoft SQL Hekaton in-memory database with SSDs vs. restoring with HPE Scalable Persistent Memory.
[v] Fastest Persistent Memory in the market substantiation based on HPE’s solution using all DRAM – the fastest media on the memory bus.
[i] Based on new silicon root of trust technology and other comprehensive security features, verified by InfusionPoints.
About Hengkie Kastono
Hengkie Kastono served as Country MD at Hewlett Packard Enterprise Indonesia since November 1, 2016. He joined HPE on April 2012 served as an Enterprise Server Storage and Network Director till April 2013 and as Director of Commercial & Public Sector till October 2016.
Previously, Mr. Kastono was with PT IBM Indonesia for 23 years. Started his career as Sales Trainee and moved forward to handle many executive position i.e. Country Manager for PC Business Unit, Small Medium Business Segment, Financial Service Sector and Global Technology Services
He graduated from Parahyangan Catholic University Bandung Indonesia with major in Civil Engineering.